EMBOSS: Project Meeting (Fri 22nd November 2002)


HGMP: Alan Bleasby, Lisa Mullan, Tim Carver, Damian Counsell, Hugh Morgan, Claude Beazley, Gary Williams
Lion: Peter Rice, Thomas Laurent, Bijay Jassal

1. Matters Arising

Alan is looking into the creation of an RPM for EMBOSS. Should be easy for the application, more complex for Jemboss as information of file paths and IP numbers has to be inputted. Both Alan and Tim will look for an option that allows prompted information.

Damian attened the TMPC meeting at the EBI and discussed porting EMBOSS to Windows. He also discussed financial possibilities of some money for a person to document EMBOSS applications

A Jemboss server has been ordered, a Linux machine with 8 dual processors. Tests of Dev3 have shown that the system can be thrashed with approx. 100 Jemboss application calls before it falls over.

Recent comments from Taiwan, added to those from before suggest a necessity for some kind of comparison/conversion table between EMBOSS and GCG applications. This should perhaps not be held directly on the EMBOSS documentation pages. Lisa will start to compile this, with as much helpful input from others as she can muster!

There are currently problems with hte XJ3D used to create the grpahics libraries. Hugh will have most EMBOSS apllications outputting Java 3D by the end of January, which willl be an interim measure for the graphics, until something in Open GL can be created.

The Threader model is running with CORBA, but it has been an uphill struggle. There is still some way to go, and Claude expressed doubts as to whether a permanent implementation of CORBA would be possible. This will be reviewed at a later date.

Some info was needed on mpat in order for the documentation to be completed by Gary.

Further work has been done on Sixpack by the group at LION, and the program now has documentation, which has been forwarded to Gary.

Installation of EMBOSS on Linux proved problematic, as it was difficult to specify the location of lib.png. Alan and Peter will look into this problem, and what can be done on a permanent basis.

2. A.O.B.

3. Date Of Next Meeting

Next meeting to be held at 9.30 on December 6th November, Loft Room 2