EMBOSS: C2 Graphics Library
EMBOSS graphics currently uses a library called PLPLOT.
Original Library requirements
- Support for interactive graphics applications (not in PLPLOT)
- OpenGL or PHIGS standard preferred (not in PLPLOT)
- XWindows output seems most useful still
- GIF is needed for WWW interfaces (not directly in PLPLOT)
- Postscript seems best for quality printed output
- Meta files in some form would be useful for producing graphics in
multiple forms, for example to the screen and to the printer.
- Must fit in with the restrictions of the GNU Lesser General
Is PLPLOT good enough?
Is there a reasonable alternative to PLPLOT?
- Mesa is an option, an OpenGL based library under public licence.
- GTK (GIMPS Toolkit) has been suggested but seems to be a GUI
library rather than something suitable for creating graphical
- The Staden Package uses Tcl/Tk which remains an option.
- Users have suggested other libraries
Can we use more than one graphics library?
- Can we write our own graphics library?
Graphics code is tightly linked to the reast of the library, because
ACD has a graph data type that makes cals to PLPLOT. We have been
asked to separate the graphics (and ACD) from the rest of the library
code. Is this a high priority?