EMBOSS: C2 User Prompts
Standard prompts - currently only for input and output sequences -
give a common look and feel.
- Descriptions are considered useful for inexperienced users.
Thier use of descriptions can be controlled by an environment
variable, but this is not yet implemented.
- All applications start with descriptions (as in GCG) which are
included in the ACD file an dused in the documentation web pages.and
by the "wossname" utility.
- Prompts could begin with "Enter" to make them clearer.
Does this need to be enforced?
- When documentation is available, help could be provided by
returning parts of the documentation in response to "?"
- Prompts could be stored in a control file so that there are
standard prompts for all cases of, for example, gap penalty. The ACD
syntax could be extended to define "msg: gap_pen" and this will look
up a language specific file for the gap penalty prompt. The same
file can contain standard prompts for sequence, integers and other
- Language specific versions of prompts can be easily produced. If
a language is specified, English prompts are to be avoided even if
no alternative is provided (the default prompt for the language must
be used instead). This is partially implemented, but there has been
no demand from users.